Friday, March 16, 2007

Daffodils

It is always a window on spring when the daffodils bloom. I love to see fields of daffodils nodding in the March
breezes. They are beautiful even in the rain. Once in a while they can be seen poking their blossoms out of
a late snow.
If anything says spring to me it is the first daffodil.
It took several years to discover why the daffodils which had bloomed in the field across from our house, suddenly
stopped blooming. We mowed the field-wrong move.
The secret is after they are through blooming, don't cut off the green leaves (they probably have another name but
you know what I mean). Just let them die back naturally because they supply the nutrients needed for the blooms
next year. A little fertilizer helps if you don't have good soil.
When I moved into town I planted some bulbs which did well last year. This year zilch. The soil here in Bethel-
Danebo is really bad. So that calls for a trip to Jerry's.
Happy spring to you all.

4 comments:

Mrs.Kate.W said...

This inspired me to go and buy some pots for the deck! I love spring flowers and I can remember every spring and summer how pretty the flowers were at your house!

Kelly said...

Oh my i love daffodils! And tulips. I have a few that pop up and they seem to multiply every year. They look wonderful freshly picked in a vase on the table in my yellow kitchen. Your blog made me smile and get even more excited for spring.

emilyruth said...

This is Brian.
I'm so impressed you've started a blog. I'm not surprised that you figured it out cause you're so smart but I'm really excited. I'll be checking regularly.
Way to Go!

jmb_craftypickle said...

Thanks! I will try some fertilizer, maybe I just expecting too much. Happy Spring!